Tuesday, December 21, 2010

And the winner is...



The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett!

Hammett wrote what are considered some of the best hardboiled detective novels that are out there. He is the creator of one of my favorite characters, Sam Spade, portrayed by Humphrey Bogart in the film adaptation of The Maltese Falcon (who, for the record, I am also a huge fan of). The Thin Man is billed as 'a murder mystery that doubles as a sophisticated comedy of manners.'
I'm dusting off my trench coat and heading to the speakeasy. It's time to sink my teeth into a classic detective novel.

2 comments:

  1. Read tons of Hammett this past summer, including 'The Thin Man.' All good stuff. His work is like the missing link between the tales of Sherlock Holmes and modern mystery and suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm only a few pages in, but I already love the flippant manner of speaking to each other that he gives Nick and Nora. I can't wait to get into the real meat of the book.

    ReplyDelete